Brown vs Green for deep litter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pats Poultry, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    Good Morning All,
    I have read a ton about deep litter on the site but I can not find anything on how much green material to add to the litter and when. I only have three chicks 14 to 18 weeks old and am only throwing a couple of hands full of fruits and veggies out for them but they seem to eating all that I give them so I don't think that there is much left for the deep litter. My question is, should I be throwing more that a few hands full of the green stuff in there. Is there a good ratio out there of how much green material should be added to the run. There run is 8 X 20. I hope that all makes sense. Please advise and thank you

Pat

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The chicken poop is the green....really no need to add more.
    Is this in your coop or your run?

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We have all kinds of "litter" in our run, probably about 6" deep. Each spring we rake/clean it out down to the earth and till that beautiful compost into our garden. It's a mixture of straw, hay, grass clippings, leaves, pine needles, landscape debris, fruit & veggies.

[​IMG]

4. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    This in in the run and that is great to know. I will continue on with the fruits and veggies

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by