Brownie laid an enormous egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spacecowgirl, Aug 22, 2011.

1. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    This is her thirteenth egg...most have been small to medium so far, but today she laid one that makes a store bought "Large" egg look tiny!!! I have an awesome picture of it, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get it to upload to this site. [​IMG]

Also, I have one jumbo store bought egg left in the refrigerator, and Brownie's is the same size!!! I don't know whether to be proud of her or sorry for her! [​IMG]

I haven't cracked it open yet because I'm still in awe that she actually did this...and on her thirteenth day of laying! If anyone can help me out with the pic uploads I'll try to post it again, but is this normal to have such a huge egg so soon??

2. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    Thats awesome [​IMG] our rir hen layed a giant egg on her 4th egg a few days ago..it turned out to be a double yolker. I read on one of the forums that it is common for pullets to lay double yolkers because their bodies have not got their egg laying patterns prefected yet

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Starting pullets often lay these enormous eggs and quite a few doubles. I am always relieved when their system settle in and they stop laying those. As nifty as it seems to get those doubles, it scares the bejeebers out of me.

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    prolly a double-yolker! [​IMG] if you've got kids, gather them 'round and see if you can't make a magic trick..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by