BRRR

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmclaughlin, Jan 6, 2015.

1. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Oh My!!!!! It's might cold here in Northern Massachusetts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't even coax my girls into leave the coop!!! Should I put water/food inside the coop?? I usually feed under the coop in the enclosed yard. It's wrapped in poly and completely covered.. but really cold.. especially since there is no snow on the ground!! I even spread straw around the frozen dirt..I feel so bad for them!!
    thanks

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens are pretty good at regulating their behavior to mitigate the discomfort from extremes of temperature. There's nothing wrong with moving their food and water inside if that's where they want to be.

I have a few who love to hang out inside the coop for hours, not doing anything, when it's real cold. Sometimes I slip their food dish in there. But usually they come out when I bring them a bowl of new food. (They get fed twice a day because they're on fermented feed.)

3. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks I might just treat them to some warm oatmeal inside the coop........ they wouldn't leave the coop yesterday to eat it!!

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it also windy?

Mine don't seem to mind the cold, just the wind, as it releases their insulated warmth.

5. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I keep food and water in the coop. I have a door that opens automatically at dawn. If they haven't gone out by 11 or so, I shut the door. Our wind chill is -40 today. Actual temps have been below zero for days and nights are often -15 to -20. I think if I would get out and shovel, they might go out but it's just too cold! Their coop gets very comfortable with only one heat lamp. I have a heated base to keep the water from freezing and the feeder I made only needs to be filled every two weeks. Hope this helps. Remember chickens are not mammals and they handle the cold very well if they are dry and protected from the wind.

6. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks that helps a lot!! and yes it is windy..last night they were all huddled together on the top roost... all I could see was fluffy butts!!
    todaay its only 10 degrees w/ wind chills brr.... I don't even want to be out there!!!
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by