1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, It's cold outside!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Smitty's Farm, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    It's only single digits this morning, but I think it has warmed up to 10 degrees now. Of course the weather says it fells like -2 degrees.

I've left my flock of 16 in their 8 x 10 coop this morning. How many people let them out when it's this cold? I think the wind is 10 mph. I think the high today is going to be 24 degrees. Brrrrrrrrr!

Thanks,
    Kim

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Windy, cold and rainy here in NC too...we, believe it or not, are looking for possible snow today!! I bet you see so much of it up north that it isn't a novelty anymore!! I'd be gettin out those plastic discs we bought two years ago to sit on and slide down the hill in our neighborhood, in the event we EVER were to have snow, lol!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Snowing at my house right now. Will go down to about 12 degrees tonight and tomorrow night.

4. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    WOW! It's cold everywhere! My flock went out of the coop when it snowed, but the temps were higher than they were today.

I just don't know if it's to cold to let them out of the coop. [​IMG]

It's still holding at 10 degrees outside. Any suggestions anyone. Will they be ok outside w/ it this cold? I hate to leave them cooped up. They love to be outside.

Sorry! I worry to much when it gets cold.

Thanks,
    Kim

5. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    I don't think we will get above zero today.

The chickens have had no interest in coming outside since the end of November. I use to open the door for them just in case but don't even bother anymore.Lets out too much valuable warmth [​IMG]

I am sooo anxious for spring....but gosh it's a looong ways off yet! [​IMG]

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Lucky you Cynthia! I could break out those snow discs at your house, loL!

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hi all! I believe they said the high today would be something like -5F. Hi Itsme in NW WI that is where I am also NW WI. I opened up some plastic off one of the windows so they could get some sunshine during that warm spell but last night I closed it and covered it with cardboard. I stacked up straw by the bottom of the door so air wouldnt get in and I nailed an old blanket over the door. I made some scrambled eggs for them late last night to warm them up also. The only light they see is artificial. [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Very cold here - was -4 this morning but with windchill MUCH colder. TOnight we'll go down to -17

Yes I let my girls out, and they love it, I think they must not get much effect from the wind or breeze being so low to the ground..... they did all come out this morning, but then a few of them went in, and lay down in the sun that was coming through the door....

We have a BUNCH of little birds out this morning, and they seem to be after the bits of scratch and what-nots left in the run, and everytime a little bird lands in their run - the girls come FLYING out all prepared to protect their space [​IMG]

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    We have a BUNCH of little birds out this morning, and they seem to be after the bits of scratch and what-nots left in the run, and everytime a little bird lands in their run - the girls come FLYING out all prepared to protect their space [​IMG]

Thats so adorable. [​IMG]

10. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Thanks everyone! Everytime the weather dips, you know you'll have to respond to my post to reassure me that it's ok for them. I'm such a worry wart. [​IMG]

My husband let them out a while ago. Most of them came out gladly. They really love it outside. I can't blame the girls. I don't think I'd want to be cooped up w/ Napolean the rooster all day.

It hasn't warmed up much here. Wooo Weeee it's now 12 degrees!

I was just worried b/c I'll be gone most the day. I have to take the Girl Scout Troop to an event and won't be home until 4 pm.

Thanks,
    Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by