BR's mating at 8 Mo

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
Was out working on the coop expansion this afternoon, trying to stay a step ahead on this years broody hens when one of my BR's got close to me, mind you she will get close but always bolts if I even try to touch her.. Not today, I took two side steps and down she went, while my Husband and Daughter watched she did a full squat for me, I saw out of the corner of my eye the tom and other BR hen so I slowly got up and backed away.. The Tom knew what to do and mounted her.. It took some finagling but finally she and he figured it out and the parts connected ( Or it looked like it) So my question, will, if she is ready to mate, still not lay an egg til March or so or should I start scouring the yard now.. BTW, the other hen displayed and vocalized the whole time (you can see her in the photo) but never squatted.

Was out working on the coop expansion this afternoon, trying to stay a step ahead on this years broody hens when one of my BR's got close to me, mind you she will get close but always bolts if I even try to touch her.. Not today, I took two side steps and down she went, while my Husband and Daughter watched she did a full squat for me, I saw out of the corner of my eye the tom and other BR hen so I slowly got up and backed away.. The Tom knew what to do and mounted her.. It took some finagling but finally she and he figured it out and the parts connected ( Or it looked like it) So my question, will, if she is ready to mate, still not lay an egg til March or so or should I start scouring the yard now.. BTW, the other hen displayed and vocalized the whole time (you can see her in the photo) but never squatted.
My turkeys typically start mating in February but don't start laying eggs until about the last week in March. You can start looking for eggs now but you probably aren't likely to find any for at least a month. Being in Oregon, it is possible that your turkeys may begin laying earlier in the year than mine do.

Right now there is lots of displaying by my toms but so far there is no evidence of any breeding going on.

Good luck.

My turkeys typically start mating in February but don't start laying eggs until about the last week in March. You can start looking for eggs now but you probably aren't likely to find any for at least a month. Being in Oregon, it is possible that your turkeys may begin laying earlier in the year than mine do.

Right now there is lots of displaying by my toms but so far there is no evidence of any breeding going on.

Good luck.

Thanks! I knew they wouldn't start laying eggs right away, but I was so surprised to see her squat and then them mate I forgot that detail
big_smile.png

We have had a few minor cold snaps, froze for a week (temps below 30) but today were expecting a touch of rain and a high of 55.. Typical weather for us which I love of course..
Were working on the coop expansion as I said, not because I expect the turkeys will love the new digs, they roost on top of the coop but for the 15 new pullets I need to move out there...

Back
Top Bottom