Bruised baby chick foot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GotPoofs, Mar 19, 2015.

1. GotPoofs

GotPoofs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    I have two 6 day old chicks that were limping this morning. The salmon favorelles girl is just limping when she walks. She can stand and make her way to the feeder, but her walking is not normal. The Buff orphington chick is having more problems walking and standing and when I examined her foot closely, it appears that there is a dark reddish tiny bruise on the outside of her "ankle". I didn't see anything on the favorelles' foot, but the fuzz may be covering the problem.
    Both girls are eating, drinking, and sleeping normally. Their poop looks good. (Well, as good as poop can look, anyways;).
    My suspicions of what may have happened is that we had two 2x2 pieces of wood in the broader sitting on the floor for them to stand, perch on, etc. They love standing and roosting on them, but I am wondering if they might have sprained or bruised themselves on the pieces of wood. We have since removed the wooden pieces and the two hurt girls are in a separate box.
    Is there any advice you can give me to help heal them, or has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Thanks so much!

2. GotPoofs

Mar 19, 2015
    They are doing OK this morning. No signs of improvement in the limping department though. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do? This batch has been a little more trouble than the first set we got.

3. GotPoofs

Mar 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are some pictures. The Favorelles girl has improved. But the BO I am really worried about. She seem to be really favoring her left foot. When I hold her in my hand , it doesn't feel like she is putting hardly any weight on it at all.

4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    If they are eatting and drinking I would just watch them for a while. Bruised feet hurt. It doesn't look like it is broken or anything like that. I hope they will be ok.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    One of my Silkie cockerels went through a similar situation not too long ago. He was limping around all of a sudden, and I couldn't find an obvious problem with his legs/feet (black skin, so no chance of seeing any bruising).
    He hobbled around for more than a week, I was terribly worried about him. However, he eventually got over it and is walking fine now.
    I think you'll just have to wait it out and hope they recover as I'm not sure there's much you could do about it anyway.
    Good luck.

6. GotPoofs

Mar 19, 2015
    Ok, thank you. I really appreciate the help. I just had never had this happen before and was a little freaked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by