Bruised Cornish Meaties..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WillieBoy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    What causes bruising of the breast and other body parts on the fast growing cornish meaties.As discussed in another thread here, some have leg issues. Some get so big so fast they have a heart attack.The fast weight gain explain some of why some cornish broilers legs can't support their own weight and they have heart attacks.But why do you think sometimes a batch of meaties will bruise so easily.They are handled as carefully as possible when gathered for butchering and killed in buteher cones.They are fed a feedhouse balanced finishing pellet, and broiler mash as babies.Still sometimes it seems a batch of them have excessive bruising over much of the bodies when process is completed...Can't understand why..!

2. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    maybe to powerful a plucker? we have been raising CX for over 4 years now and I don't recall ever seeing a bruised breast on any of ours. a few broken legs, but i expect that.
    Also, maybe a lack of some vitamin that causes more vein bleeding while processing?

3. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Bruising can only come when the bird has blood in the system. It must have something to do with handling. Once they are bled out there is no way you can get that to happen.

Remember the bruise is from an impact that causes the small capillaries in the breast to break open and spill the blood into the meat.

maybe look at the food also. Do yo mix your own?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    What type of housing/pen were they kept in? Bedding?

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Crowding can cause them to run into feeders and waterers which can get bruises from.

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    the fact that they are always laying on their breasts, causes bruises and abrasions.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

They are fed a feedhouse balanced finishing pellet, and broiler mash as babies.Still sometimes it seems a batch of them have excessive bruising over much of the bodies when process is completed...Can't understand why..!

The answer is in the question. What you feed them and how they live when fed in this manner has a lot to do with their overall health and quality of life. Just because they will eat until they can no longer stand or break their own legs is not a good reason to feed them until they do. If you want a health and clean carcass, you need to raise a healthy and clean bird....raising them confined to free choice feed is the same way the broiler houses do it and it results in the same kind of product. Bruised, gangreneous, lame, sick and overly obese birds are nothing I'd choose to place on my family's table.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by