1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bruised from laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by agnes_day, Nov 28, 2008.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    hi, my chicken just started laying eggs 3 days ago and now her butt has 2 large black bruises on it..is this normal at all?? shes fine though, running around and eating ok but this really freaked me out. the only reason i noticed that that i was washing her off and trimming some dirty feathers back there.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wow I have never heard of that! Was the egg really, really big?

3. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    no, they are pretty small..it looks painful!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Could it actually pigment, and that is just the color? Is she uncomfortable when you touch her there?

5. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    she didnt mind at all! she had poop all caked on her behind and feathers so i had to scrub it off with warm water and thats when i saw the bruising..its more of a purplish black bruising i guess you could say. also..it was pulsating! i think that is normal but combined with the bruising, it made for a very scary picture! [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    No idea. I've had to cut away some feathers from some behinds but never noticed anything unusual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by