Bruised (maybe), walking upright, not moving very much.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by windhillmom, Nov 10, 2014.

1. windhillmom

windhillmom Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Cleopatras tummy, does anyone know if this is a bruise? My 2.5 year old leghorn hen who is in the middle of a molt started acting under the weather. We thought she just needed some tlc and protien due to her molt. We seperated her and gave her some cooked egg. This was about 4 days ago, she isnt getting any better. Shes not moving much at all but when she does she keeps herself upright and leans her chest against the wall or my arm. She is eating well enough and her poop seems normal. At first I thought her abdomen was large and squishy and i thought she might have a broken egg inside or ascities. So we attempted to drain her but didnt get any fluid, i tried several times. I've been treating her with Tylan 50 by injection .25 cc once per day and giving her vitamin B with her electrolites and oatmeal. She ate oyster shell with her scrambled egg too. The swelling has gone down considerabyl and now I am noticing what you see in the picture and wondering if this is a bruise. She doesnt seem to be getting any better and tonight didnt want much to eat or drink. We have 28 hens and they all seem to be fine. They get to free range on the weekends under supervision, we have hawks and other predators. Please help if you can.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks a little like a pressure sore or blister from laying on that spot. They get those more commonly on the breast bone when lying down a lot. It also may be from fluid or moisture. I would put some iodine on it in case it gets infected. She sounds like she has the symptoms of internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis with her being so upright in posture. Cancer also can be common in chickens.

3. windhillmom

May 22, 2014
    Thank you for the suggestions, a pressure sore, hmm. If its egg yolk peritonitis is there anything I can do for her?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It even looks like a burn almost, perhaps from leakage after you tried to withdraw fluid from the abdomen. It would be best if you read a little about EYP and internal laying to see if it fits. A vet could diagnose it. With EY, antibiotics may extend her life and make her more comfortable. Procaine Penicillin G injections or amoxicillin can be used, but a vet would have better antibiotics. EYP is usually fatal, but hens may live longer if treated. Here are some links to read:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis
    http://luckyhensrescuenorthwest.weebly.com/egg-bound-henegg-peritonitis-help-sheet.html

5. windhillmom

May 22, 2014
    The swelling is almost gone bu t she continues to walk upright with her wings spread. She is eating and drinking ok and her poop is very normal but smelly. I am still giving her tylan once a day with vitamin B. She doesnt move much and seems about the same. her color is normal and she doesnt have a fever. Im wondering now if she was injured somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by