1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bruised meat q

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I'm a neverending stream of questions!!!

I processed a bird this morning and noticed that he had a bruised thigh and the underside of a wing on the same side. I think I may have overscalded him a bit and we dispatched him by hatched for the first time and he thrashed around (while being held and then tied upside down to bleed out) more than with throat cutting.

Did either of these cause it? If so, what can be done to prevent it? How will it affect usability other than looks?

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's just looks. Some say that brusing reduces storage time because blood is not as well drained, but I don't know how true that is because you can store blood jelly in the freezer and it tastes just fine.

It was probably caused by the holding and the thrashing.

3. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    So, how do you prevent it? All of the other birds thrashed, too. Don't they always?

Quote:

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I have heard of killing cones.. they keep the bird still while they bleed out..

Like an upsidedown orange street cone. The head pops out the bottom and then you cut the neck arteries..

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The best ways I can think of are usualy to just wrap them tightly in an old towel before doing the deed. That way they don't have pressure points on their wings or sides from holding. A cone would work too if you could get yoru hands on one. Another thing some do is hang their birds by their feet and let them flap it out in the air. Once you cookem, you probably won't notice though.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they do that when they thrash their wings when you kill them. i have had some actually break the wing joints.

when you cook them, it doesn't show anymore. and the broken wings hold their place just fine as they cook too.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:thats what i do,, i tie them by their feet, hang them from a pole, and cut their heads off with a sharp knife,, i figure you need to tie them up to bleed them,, so 1 step less [​IMG], and it makes it easy to hold them too, ya just grab them by the wings and hold them.

8. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:That's how we did it.

Once you cookem, you probably won't notice though.

That's good to know!​

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  9. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The bruising had to happen before the bird died. Possibly fell on something? Bruising is the coagulation of blood to an injured area...if the bird is already dead...it isn't going to coagulate anywhere...because the bird is dead.

10. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I actually own a few comes but don't have a place to hang them upside dow n.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by