brush= chicken teepee

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FnWeirdo, Oct 29, 2018.

1. FnWeirdo

FnWeirdo Songster

Sep 6, 2018
    u.p. mi
    hello BYC so this year I've been clearing land and have a lot of brush i got the idea to make some " chicken teepee's" out of some of the brush. in case any are interested.
    many ways to do this but i just used a post hole digger and drove a log too small to do anything with, then grabbed some nice thick branches laid them at an angle around my log tied the top of them with 550 cord, then proceeded on grabbing thinner branches and layering them. ill be tying off the top again when complete.i also will lay a couple thicker small branches on the ground so they can perch on them on the rainy and snow days but theres a few jut offs i left on the log where they perch. as it stands right now it does a good job ( will do better when its fully covered lol ) and they like hanging out in there. heres a pic

IMG_20181029_164428.jpg

2. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Crowing

Feb 15, 2012
    Ha that looks awesome!

FnWeirdo likes this.
  3. 9SpiceyChickens

9SpiceyChickens Crowing

Jul 24, 2018
    In the coop, Northern CA
    interesting. wow.

FnWeirdo likes this.
  4. FnWeirdo

FnWeirdo Songster

Sep 6, 2018
    u.p. mi
    thanks hopefully a few are inspired to make good use of some pain in the but to get rid of brush lol

5. FnWeirdo

FnWeirdo Songster

Sep 6, 2018
    u.p. mi
    i was thinking these would make awesome " free range coops" if you build them solid, and by the time they would fall apart they would be nice dry wood easy to burn. as you can see theres a lot of big gaps in mine right now and it keeps the area shielded pretty good against snow (we had a couple snow days already this year) my chickens love it on bad weather days. before the teepee they stayed in the coop on bad weather days

Feathers Brady and Sephora day like this.
  6. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Good hawk hideout :thumbsup

123RedBeard, Shadrach and FnWeirdo like this.
  7. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Songster

Oct 20, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Sweet!!!

FnWeirdo likes this.
  8. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Songster

Oct 20, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I actually think I can do this!

FnWeirdo likes this.
  9. FnWeirdo

FnWeirdo Songster

Sep 6, 2018
    u.p. mi
    its easy and free well other then 550 cord 100 ft for 10$. if you do build a chicken teepee please reply with pic :)

10. I did this by simply leaning a bunch of large branches onto a living tree. Did not secure them, but they were pretty large diameter already, so really resistant to wind and being knocked around.

Don't have a great photo of it, but here is one I found that shows it a little bit. I also added some sunflower stalks to the "pile". But those will most likely decay soon and not provide any cover.

[​IMG]

FnWeirdo likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: