Brush fire. Hens and smoke and will the eggs taste smokey?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rubyrogue, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    There was a large fire by my house today. The story is over on family life if anyone wants to read it. Anyways the hens were out in all the smoke and there were eggs in the coop as well as in the mini fridge in the garage. There were massive amounts of smoke and our house still smells smokey. The garage is really bad. I am worried about my hens breathing in all the smoke and that all my eggs are going to taste smokey.

2. TNRIRRoo

TNRIRRoo In the Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    [​IMG]
    No, I don't think so. I've been feeding mine tomatos, peppers and other things in the hopes of huevos rancheros but no such luck.

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

[​IMG]

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Im actually surprised your more worried about how your eggs taste than your chickens health. Alot of smoke can cause lung problems in chickens, also alot of shock or difficulty breathing. I would be making sure you coop in airing out right now and everyones okay rather than how your eggs taste. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. Becky1961

Becky1961 In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I'm glad nothing terrible happend to your house or your coop. I'm sorry that your house and gargage smells bad, tho.

It's a good thing chickens are low to the ground and that smoke rises. I'm sure if the chickens were out in the smoke, and they were in any distress they would have found a safe place to get to.

In my short experience with chickens, they have proved to be very smart and quite resourceful!

6. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Quote:Im actually surprised your more worried about how your eggs taste than your chickens health. Alot of smoke can cause lung problems in chickens, also alot of shock or difficulty breathing. I would be making sure you coop in airing out right now and everyones okay rather than how your eggs taste. [​IMG]

I guess I should have worded it differently to be more exact and separate the two questions but it was late and I was exhausted. I was/am worried about them breathing in all the smoke.
    Though I don't think much smoke actually got to them as with all the sprinklers we had going around the coops the heavy smoke couldnt really reach them. They were all up early and acted fine this morning. Digging through the mud in the runs looking for bugs.
    The eggs I was worried about were the eggs that had already been laid for the day and were sitting in the nestboxes and in the fridge in my garage.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA

I guess I should have worded it differently to be more exact and separate the two questions but it was late and I was exhausted. I was/am worried about them breathing in all the smoke.
    Though I don't think much smoke actually got to them as with all the sprinklers we had going around the coops the heavy smoke couldnt really reach them. They were all up early and acted fine this morning. Digging through the mud in the runs looking for bugs.
    The eggs I was worried about were the eggs that had already been laid for the day and were sitting in the nestboxes and in the fridge in my garage.

Oh Okay I Understand![​IMG] I would just add vitamins and electrolytes just in-case, and keep them as happy as possible and no stressers to affect there immune system, so it can clean out those lungs !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by