Brutus and my chicks.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by poussin_noir, Jun 25, 2008.

1. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    Here is my Brutus watching my chicks, there about a week old now on their first outing outside.
    He is a White English Bulldog, not the short english Bulldog your thinking of. The breed is ment to be an all purpose farm utility dog and livestock guardian.
    He is 10 months old and i'm glad he is showing promise.
    Brutus has been slowly introduced to the chicks since I got them and spends time with them everyday.
    Right now he can only interact with then on a down, I don't want to risk anyone getting stepped on accidentally.
    During our time outside Brutus did break his down once, only to chase a cat that was approaching out of the bushes away.
    He then came back and lay down with the chicks..... I'm so proud!
    Funny the chicks love cuddling up against him and peck at his whiskers and black freckles lol.
    Enjoy the pics:D

Here's the chicks swarming Brutus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Getting his whiskers done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Awww!! I LOVE Bulldogs!! He looks more like an American Bulldog though. He is adorable!! I wish my pup was that good with the babies!

I tried to get the pic, but it wouldn't let me. The dog in the pic looks just like Brutis!!!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  3. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    He is a gorgeous dog, and I am glad to see and know that you are taking the time to introduce them properly and to train your dog that they are part of the family.
    I have an Aussie that I did the same training with, and he is an awesome herd protector. This includes all the chickens, goats, horses, pigs, cats and Cephus, his Red Bone hound shadow.

4. poussin_noir

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    The White English Bulldog was used as a foundation breed when Johnson and Scott and others began their breeding programs for the American Bulldog. Some consider it the true american bulldog.
    White English is a farm dog found in Georgia, Florida ect And families have bred these dogs unchanged for generations for their use on the farm.
    If your interested you can get lot's of info from the White English
    Bulldog Preservation Society http://bttbab.com/index.htm.

5. poussin_noir

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    Quote:Thank you.
    I brought up Brutus showing him strong leadership (firm but fair) and a strong foundation in obedience before trying this. If he was any younger I would wait but he is showing good maturity around chickens and other animals so he got his shot today.
    He is always supervised with the chicks incase anyone was worried.

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Quote:That is so interesting! I had no idea that it was a seperate breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by