Brutus, my roo, hates tennis shoes! *UPDATE PG. 2*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gumpsgirl, Nov 8, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Has anyone ever had a rooster or a chicken that hated the shoes they wear? I got a Welsummer rooster from spatcher a week ago and he has had a little bit of an attitude. I've been working with him and he has seemed to be getting better, until this afternoon. I usually just wear a pair of my crocs when I go out into the run or the coop because they are so easy to get on and back off. Well today I had just gotten back from town and went out into the run to fill the waterer and Brutus immediately homed in on my tennis shoes that I had on. He then looked up and me and came after me! I couldn't believe it! I kept shooing him back and then he'd come right back after me until I left the run. I came inside and sat down to think about why he had regressed and realized that every time I enter the coop or the run he looks at my shoes. Most of the time I'm wearing my crocs, not tennis shoes. I guess he doesn't mind my crocs, but he sure doesn't like the tennis shoes! Silly 'ole rooster! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my leghorn HATES my wifes flip-flops,,,, doesnt like her too much either [​IMG]

3. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Crazy rooster! What color were the shoes?

Our rooster once came after my daughter when she went in the coop wearing her orange soccer socks.

4. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My shoes are dk. grey, nothing bright. He has no issue with my bright pink crocs though. [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That the reason I have this crazy roo. He didn't like spatcher's wife and she said he had to go. Sheesh! I won't be wearing tennis shoes in the run again, that's for sure!

6. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I had the same thing with my yard boss Buff Orpington rooster. All winter and spring wearing muck boots he never seemed to even pay attention. In the summer when the yard dried up I went out there wearing tennis shoes. Out of nowhere and totally unexpectedly he nailed me. It took me a little while to figure it out, but it was the different footwear. The second time I was ready for him. I grabbed him and trimmed his spurs. That put an end to that behavior.
    db

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe he thought you were a "stranger" without your croc shoeware on. He likes the girl with crocs! [​IMG]

8. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Mine definitely take note of my footwear. They don't pay much attention to tennis shoes, but in the summertime when I wear flip flops, they peck at my painted toenails. And when it's wet out, I wear polka-dot boots. They peck at the dots! Nobody has ever attacked, though. I think they know I'd withhold treats if they did!

9. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    mine haven't reacted aggressively to footwear (all hens...), but they like to peck the tiny pieces of skin that show on the sides of my feet when i'm barefoot under my mule-style birkenstocks. OUCH!

[​IMG]

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My chickens sometimes peck at my toes, which doesn't hurt too much, but my turkey hen!!! ouch!! She does a special "peck, scrape" that is particularly painful and leaves a line of beak scratch, like she's really trying to slice into the skin. Ow ow ow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by