BSFL (Black Soldier Fly Larvae)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Taliasun, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Taliasun

Taliasun Chirping

Jun 20, 2018
    Anyone raising BSF? Tell me your secrets!

townchicks likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello again!

I'm raising mealworms instead. The darkling beetles can't fly at all. I haven't harvested the new larvae yet as I want the colony to grow larger before I start removing them. All the larvae from my original purchase have morphed into beatles now and I have the next generation coming strong.

It's pretty darn easy so far. I just add carrots or zucchini or any other veggie I have on hand about every 2 or 3 days. The bedding I use is a mixture of whole wheat flour, dehydrated milk and a little wheat germ. I just remove the moldy pieces of veggies (I keep them up on upside down egg cartons or pieces of cardboard tubing cut in half from paper towel rolls to keep the moist veggies out of the bedding.) Most of the veggies get fully consumed by the beatles and larvae.

Taliasun and townchicks like this.
  3. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    :pop

4. Taliasun

Taliasun Chirping

Jun 20, 2018
    I am also raising mealworms and am also at the darkling stage. Mine have oats and chicken feed as their substrate and I use a potato or apple for moisture. They eat everything but the skins.
    I haven't seen any new mealworms yet but I expect them soon. My set up is very low key- 10 gallon tank with a screen top. I will have to see how effective it is once I do get more mealies. I started with 1000.
    The BSFL interest me because of their super high protein levels for use in homemade pelletized feed.

townchicks likes this.
  5. big_daddy_rooster_420

big_daddy_rooster_420 In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2018
    Columbia Gorge
    I'm raising them, chickens go crazy for them. I can't grow enough and I'm looking to expand my operation.

The option I went with was a little expensive, but foolproof and pretty instantly gratifying. I got a biopod and ordered small and big larvae from a nearby breeder. Very expensive for what it is, since it's only about as much material as a basic rubbermaid bin.

I'm looking into increasing the size of everything because this system simply does not output close to enough grubs for the chickens appetite. I have dozens of birds. I think a biopod would be fine for around 3-5 birds if you could keep it going.

I have yet to go through a winter so I'm unsure if they'll stay alive and feeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: