1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BSL or black broiler?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mkenner, Apr 21, 2017.

1. mkenner

mkenner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 3 weeks old.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. mkenner

mkenner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Anyone?

3. cjperrault1

cjperrault1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Beaumont texas

4. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I would guess black sex link, not sure what you mean by black broiler

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Black sexlink,their always skinny and fragile,but I wpuld defiantly wait if there are no reddish/gold feathers pop up.Sexlinks,red or black,are sometimes sold as broilers or pan fru.I absloutly dont know why,that is how I ended up with sexlinks anyway,incidents.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Black sex links are far from skinny and fragile. Ours have always thrived and have been medium-heavy weight. The females high producers of large brown eggs. I can see red or black sex link males put in a hatchery lot of pan fry cockerels. However they are quite different from red and black broilers. Those are selectively bred, slower growing meat birds ready for processing around 12-14 weeks of age.

The OP was wondering if this chick is a black Minorca. Hard to say at the moment. Minorcas will be lighter in build than black sex links, similar to a Leghorn. Black sex links will be similar in build to the heavier breeds such as Rocks and Orpingtons. Unless they are much larger than your other chicks then I would doubt they are broilers.

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I am talking about as chicks.They tend to be small and skinny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by