BSL Started Laying Shell less eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by donnavee, Oct 18, 2011.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have a 2 1/2 yr old BSL that has always laid great since she was 20wks old. We feed layer pellets, calcium on the side, some extra greens and yogurt a few times a week. All the chickens free range and get plenty of exercise and fresh water. She is well up on the pecking order so I know she gets plenty of good food.

About 1 1/2 mo ago, she started laying some soft shelled eggs and one got "stuck". I soaked her in warm water and was able to help her expel the egg and all seemed fine. She did start molting then and hasn't laid any eggs. That was fine with me as I figured she needed a rest. So, now her feathers have filled in and her comb is bright red and I saw her on the nest box a couple of days ago. When she got off the nest, there was only egg yolk and white in the shavings. So today, the same thing happened - the nest she was in had yolk and she had moved to another box where she sat for a while before coming out. She seems to feel fine, is eating and drinking like normal. I'm also pretty confident that she isn't eating the egg.

Is this something that will eventually kill her? I have heard BSLs burn out with the egg laying early but I thought that just meant they quit laying. I would rather she not lay at all since this worries me so much.

Any advice?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Give her some time, as she is coming off moult. Obviously her shell making equipment is mis-firing. No doubt you've got calcium in the layer feed, feed shells etc, as this is not your only hen, I presume and also presume the others are laying, good shelled eggs? No doubt you have confidence in the quality of the feed you give them.

Things happen to hens. Simply being a BSL is not necessarily the culprit here. Some fine, pure-bred birds also have this malady. So, give her time. If she is getting a good supply of calcium along with the rest of the flock, then her shell making is not working. Sad. Here's hoping she get better soon.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Fred's Hens :

Give her some time, as she is coming off moult. Obviously her shell making equipment is mis-firing. No doubt you've got calcium in the layer feed, feed shells etc, as this is not your only hen, I presume and also presume the others are laying, good shelled eggs? No doubt you have confidence in the quality of the feed you give them.

Things happen to hens. Simply being a BSL is not necessarily the culprit here. Some fine, pure-bred birds also have this malady. So, give her time. If she is getting a good supply of calcium along with the rest of the flock, then her shell making is not working. Sad. Here's hoping she get better soon.

Yes, I do rinse, dry and grind up egg shells in addition to the oyster shell. We feed Southern States layer pellets which is what we have fed in the 2 1/2 yrs of having chickens. None of the other chickens are having problems, at least none of the ones laying - a lot of the others are moulting right now and we have some pullets that are just starting to lay. Got a couple of soft shell from the pullets in the beginning but that ended once they got the hang of laying.

Thanks​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by