BTW Japanese Pullet Gone!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jc12551, Nov 25, 2011.

1. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I have four BTW Jap. pullets hatched in May that give me three eggs every day. I have only been getting one or two recently and I found a hidden nest in the run last week with three eggs in it. Yesterday I came home and heard a hen cackling in the woods. It was around 10pm, but we got flashlights and went out. Nothing. I counted the birds and one of the bantams was gone. Sometimes they roost in trees so we looked, but found nothing. I went out today and looked for signs of a struggle/stray feathers but didn't see anything. I also poked around looking for a nest. Any hope that she has gone off into the woods to brood? I don't want to give up hope, but I don't want to count her out yet. We had a dog attack a few months back and we thought this one hen had been eaten. Three days later she came back. How many eggs would a BTWJ lay before going broody anyway?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    They can go broody at any time, after a few or after a lot. I had one go broody once that wasn't even laying. She could be brooding, but chicken noise that late at night does not bode well for the chicky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by