Bubble foot......another way of treating it besides surgery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jackrooster, Jun 24, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    My rooster has a bubble foot and i am not want to do surgery on him.......is there any other way of trating bubble foot and if so can someone tell me.....i have reaseached it on here and all the one that i have found talk about surgery?

2. Heidi

Heidi Songster

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I had a hen that had bumblefoot two years ago and I soaked her foot in warm water w/ epsom salt three times as day for 10 minutes. I also put her on an antibiotic for 10 days. I had her separated from everyone as well in a very large dog crate. I kept this up for about 2 weeks. She is fine now and has never had any more issues. Her bumblefoot wasn't terrible as I caught it pretty earlier - I hope this will work for you.

3. jackrooster

jackrooster Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:What antibiotics did you use?? and did you keep the leg wrapped up??

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Heidi

Heidi Songster

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I used terramycin. I didn't wrap the foot as she'd just tear it off. I think an important key was keeping her by herself and in a smallish quarters make her lay and stay off her foot. Good luck.

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    from what i understand it's like a planters wart and you have to get the "corn" (looks like that) out of the foot or it will come back. [​IMG] I saw it done and it wasn't that bad to do and YES it totally looked like a crazy piece of corn. [​IMG]

I didn't do mine and she died. I guess it also gives them an infection of some sort and they can get really sick from it. I the messanger...............please don't shoot. I am not sure if all this is true [​IMG]

8. jackrooster

jackrooster Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    is it possiable to just pick the scabe and cut the bumble bubbles open and let them drain??

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It won't drain. Infection solidifieds inside the foot and looks like cheese. It won't just drain out--there are no "bubbles" in there.

10. jackrooster

jackrooster Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    ahhh i dont know what to do!? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by