Bubble foot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mad28, Nov 15, 2014.

1. mad28

mad28 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    [​IMG] I just noticed that the foot on the left is slightly big and worrying about bubble foot and what should I do ?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's bumble foot and does the foot look swollen or could one foot just be larger than the other? you need to examine the foot real well top and bottom looking for any wounds, splinters etc. Then post back and tell us if you have found anything if bumble sometimes there is a bump with redness and swelling and the duck will limp if it's on the bottom. Pic of what you find will be helpful

Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The middle toe does look a little puffier on the right foot. Is there more warmth in the right foot?

4. mad28

mad28 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    I can't really tell but there is pink bumps under the foot

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That could be bumblefoot.

Soak in Epsom salt water - do not let the duck drink the water, it is a laxative. You can stand the duck in a flat-bottomed bowl or small bucket, or you can soak clean rags and hold the duck and wrap her feet, for ten minutes twice a day.

Follow that with either

a couple of drops of clear iodine - not brown iodine - on the bumps, and just do that once every 5 days

or

rub some triple antibiotic ointment with no painkiller on the feet and legs twice a day, especially right before bedtime.

1 person likes this.
  6. mad28

mad28 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    I am soaking it and putting Bosporus on it I wrap it for a half an hour then put him back with the other ducks I'm scared to keep it wrap while he's outs side because it's very cold out and I have to wrap it tight so It will stayed and I don't want him to lose circulation

7. mad28

mad28 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    Neosporin

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree about the wrapping. Some ducks just don't keep a wrap on at all.

So, using an antibiotic ointment, and making sure to use it especially at night before they are tucked in (and less likely to swim or tromp through mud and wipe it off) is something I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by