Bubble mucus coming out of nose- shakes head too. First time chicken owner!!

Georgia7564

Hatching
Jan 4, 2017
Hi everyone!!
I've just bought a four month old chicken yesterday from this side by farm- so not much information!
I'm worried my chicken may have an infected crop? As she was gasping for air yesterday, makes odd noises and her crop is full- colour looks normal though! Today I also noticed mucus from her nose!! She has also been shaking her head a bit!
What should I do?

I've read about massaging the crop and possibly giving her some apple cider vinegar !

Anyways I don't know if I'm just worried because I've never done this before!!

So please help!!

Thanks Georgia!!

Welcome to BYC. Keep the pullet in quarantine away from other chickens for at least 30 days if you don't take her back. I would be more concerned about the chicken having a respiratory disease that could infect your other birds with something like mycoplasma or coryza. Give her water with electrolytes and vitamins overnight, and no food. Then check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it has emptied. If not, there could be a crop impaction or sour crop, but first rule out a respiratory infection with a slow crop. I would take her back personally if possible, but sometimes that may be impossible. Some respiratory diseases can make carriers of your whole flock. Injectable Tylan 50 or 200, which can also be given orally for treatment of respiratory diseases, is about the only choice without consulting a vet. Here is a good link to read about the common poultry diseases such as MG, coryza, ILT, and bronchitis:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hi!
Thank you for responding! Yes I kept doing my research and I figured I should go to the vet. Her temperature was high, but her lungs sounded ok apparently, however he did agree that her crop was very large and mushy so we gave her some fulids oil, and a five day injection of antibiotics. Anyways her crop seems to be working well and she seems more perky! I haven't seen any more mucus, but she still has this nervous like head shake!
I hope she will be ok, i might take her back to the vet when I get home. She is an only chicken right now, so not worried about infecting other chickens !!

Her sick smells has gone too!!

Back
Top Bottom