Bubble tears in chicken's eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Walisfarm, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Walisfarm

Walisfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Nigeria
    Please can any one help me shade more light to me as to the cause of droping bubble tear in chicken's eyes it cause, treatment and preventive measures? I just steped in into the chickens this morning to see how they are and found one of the chick's bubble tears coming from her eye, I so scared that it shouldn't be an infection. Help me pls. Thanks so much to all BYC family.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Eye bubbles can be a sign of conjunctivitis from mycoplasma or other respiratory infections. Other symptoms are nasal drainage, swelling around the eye or face, wheezes or rattles while breathing. Here is a list of respiratory diseases in chickens: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Walisfarm

Nov 4, 2013
    Nigeria
    Thanks so much! Any medication or preventive suggestions? Hope not disturbing you pls.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since respiratory diseases are contagious, separation of the chicken from others is best. Antibiotics such as tylosin (Tylan,) erythromycin, oxytetracycline, and tiamulin (Denagard) would treat symptoms. Most respiratory disease are chronic, and will make carriers of the flock. If symptoms get severe, killing and burning the chicken to keep the disease from spreading may be best.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. Walisfarm

Nov 4, 2013
    Nigeria
    Well understood! Suggestions noted, God bless you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by