1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bubbles around my hen's eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missweki, Jan 5, 2015.

1. missweki

missweki Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2015
    This has been going on for a while but I have not really paid attention until now. I just assumed that her eye had bubbles around it due to the rain but she is the only one like this and this has been going on for several weeks.
    I am just unsure what it could be and she has been acting a bit odd. She eats as usual but I am normally not able to catch her but I have caught her twice and she does not feel very heavy. I am unsure how heavy bantams should be but some younger bantam hens feel a tiny bit heavier than her.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    She shares a cage with 8 other chickens but none have had bubbles around her eye like she does.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She could have been pecked around her eye, but since she is acting off, then she may have a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG.) She looks to have some swelling between her eye and beak in the picture which is indicative of sinus swelling, another sign of MG. MG and other respiratory diseases are usually diseases which make carriers of your flock, so I would not add or sell any birds. I would treat her with Tylan 50 injectable, either given as a shot in the breast or given by mouth. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound of weight daily for 3-5 days. To give it as a shot, you will need 5 needles (22 gauge) and 5 syringes (3 ml or cc.) If you can't get needles, you can twist off the top of the vial with pliers to withdraw the medicine. Here is a link to read about common respiratory diseases including MG: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  3. missweki

Jan 5, 2015
    If I am unable to get a hold of some Tylan, is there anything else I could do? I also have some roosters in a cage beside them. The cage where this hen is in is not in contact with these roosters but would these roosters still be safe to eat since they are so close to the cage with the hen?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could get some oral antibiotics such as Tylan powder, oxytetracycline powder, or Gallimycin, all used in the drinking water. Sick chickens, especially in wintertime, so not drink well, so the medicine in the water may need to be syringed or dropper fed to them. Oxytetracycline also comes in an injectable form under various brand names. The roosters should be safe to eat if they are exposed to MG.

5. missweki

Jan 5, 2015
    Since I have been unable to get any Tylan I have just been keeping a eye on her. She drinks water every time I give the chickens fresh water but I just never see her eat but she has the opportunity to eat when I am not around. I am starting to think she just got pecked in the eye like you first suggested. She started getting that bump and bubbles a few days after I put the younger hens in with them so maybe one of them pecked her.

6. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a chicken with the same problem! My one started losing weight but was eating and drinking she looked exactly like the pics you posted! My one got killed by a savage dog! And she had that disease her whole life!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think I would treat her eye by cleaning it with saline, and placing some plain Neosporin/or Triple Anitbiotic ointment into the eye twice a day. Terramycin ointment or Vetericyn eye gel would be even better, but they are pricey.

8. missweki

Jan 5, 2015
    I do have saline and neosporin but does it need to go in her eye or on the bump?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It needs to go into the eye to treat or prevent further infection. Does she have any nasal drainage, or noisy breathing? Here is a link for the Tylan 50, but you might call or check around more locally in the cattle medicine sections of feed stores: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....=86808709483&gclid=CJONxtPjhcMCFW4F7Aodf1wAxw

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  10. missweki

Jan 5, 2015
    I have not noticed any drainage or noisy breathing, but I think she sneezes a lot. I am unsure if this is a actual sneeze or just something she does but she makes random and sudden squeaks. She has been doing that since I got her 8 months ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by