bubbles coming out of eye on Muscovy, any ideas??????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kysilkies, Jan 21, 2012.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you check for an injury? maybe he caught it on something? if not then I'd treat with some kind of eye wash[saline] or get vetericyn spray for wounds and infection and spray his eye with that a couple times a day. keep a close eye on him for other problems like swelling which my be sinus infection. drainage from nostrils, does he have a bucket of fresh water to wash his face in> that is very important since they need to be able to wash dirt and stuff out of their eyes and nares. Is he eating good and acting normal other wise?

3. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Yes, other than that he's acting totally normal and has many sources of fresh water to drink out a we keep buckets all over the place where the water is replaced every morning...

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

I'd wash it out real good with somwe warm saline[salt water] just to make sure he hasn't gotten something in there then watch and see if it does it again if so then i would get something to treat eyes at your feed store. The reason I mentioned Vetericyn is because it doesn't burn or sting and can be sprayed right into the eye, but there are other things too.

1 person likes this.
  5. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    He looks healthy enough I'm sure he'll be fine.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He does look very healthy but if one of my ducks had bubbles in their eye like that it would make me concerned, i would not ignore it and hope it went away, i would wash it out good and see if it comes back and go from there. Not that I don't think you'd be concerned xindigo I just couldn't shrug off something that isn't normal.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto Miss Lydia.

Eye and sinus infections can begin with foamy eye. And he may have access to water but for some reason isnĀ“t doing a good job of washing up. I'd be helping him out with the hygiene for a while, and some sort of medicated eyedrops till the foamy eye clears up.

Give a listen to his breathing, just to make sure there's nothing else going on with him. Good on you for checking up on this!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi can we have an update on how your boy is doing?

9. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Stress can also induce foamy eyes like that. If it comes and goes I'd be inclined to think stress. If it is pretty constant (except right after he has washed his face) then I'd check him for ticks (especially round the head) and consider water cleaniness and as others have said a possible eye injury.

Has anything changed in his environment or his social life recently?

10. Duckadia

Duckadia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Narrabri, AUS
    One of my muscovies gets this often. I have no idea what to do about it! One of my mallards had it too. I wonder why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by