Bubbles in Eye Fluid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hazeldazel, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hazeldazel

Hazeldazel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    Washington, Connecticut
    I noticed one of my Ameracaunas with bubbles in her eye fluid. I separated her from the flock (dog crate in the basement) and applied an ointment of 1% chloramphenicol (from the vet) a few times daily. After four days things seemed to be back to normal (they went back to normal very quickly, actually) and yesterday I reintroduced her to the flock. THis morning I noticed the bubbles again. All other behavior/traits appear normal. Advice?

2. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Generally eye bubbles, (looking like someone spit into the eye ) is one of the first signs of a respiratory infection, Treat with Tylan injectable, or LS 50 in the water .

3. Hazeldazel

Sep 24, 2009
    Washington, Connecticut
    Thank you! What is LS 50? Should I put it in the rest of the flock's water too?

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
  5. Hazeldazel

Sep 24, 2009
    Washington, Connecticut
    I noticed Duramycin water-soluble packets sold at Tractor Supply Co...will that work?

6. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    If you treat all the birds , be aware there is an egg withholding time , and is considered an antibiotic ...

This should be the only water they can get into during the treatment time , or they won't get the right dose ...

Unless the other birds are sneezing , or have swollen faces, bubblees in the eyes,, coughing, or bluish combs, I would just treat the one by separating her , for the 7 days ... up to you though ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by