Bubbles in eyes of my chick, but no other symptoms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PlentywoodFarm, Mar 20, 2013.

1. PlentywoodFarm

PlentywoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Hey guys,

Yesterday, I noticed my two week old white Wyandotte chick had white foamy bubbles in the corner of his eye. I got a wet paper towel and cleaned it out, and some more gunk came out. I put a little neosporin on it. Any ideas of what this could be?

He/she has also been really itchy lately, but I have just chalked that up to a feather growing stage.

I've been reading the threads and it seems that it sometimes means the bird may have respiratory disease, but she/he is not showing any other symptoms. No sneezing, coughing, he/she is eating very well, drinking well, definitely not lethargic. I even held her/his little chest up to my ear, and couldn't hear anything, although I did get pecked on the top of the head continually while I was trying to hear. lol.

He/she is the biggest in the brooder, so he/she doesn't get picked on. However, a couple days ago, I covered my finger in food and let them peck it off. Well, some dropped off my finger and onto his/her head. A friend told me it is possible he/she just got pecked in the eye. There are five other chicks in the brooder.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jessi

2. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Anyone? I just got home from work and the eye looks the same, except some of the furry feathers around it seem to have fallen out. I hope this is nothing too serious. :(

3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I have had one that I had do the same thing and I know mine was caused from a pecked eye. I watched the other chicken peck that one. I took and rinsed the eye out 3 to 4 times a day with contact solution and bought terramycin powder and mixed it into the chickens water. It took about 2 weeks but I did get it to heal up finally. I am not saying for sure this will help yours but it is my experience with this same type of problem.

4. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Thanks minihorse927! I think her eye is looking better this morning. I just can't tell if the feathers are falling out or if it is just matted from the neosporin. I sent my husband to Orscheln for terramycin, and he said they didn't have any... actually they didn't have any chicken antibiotics at all. Crazy.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    That's strange that they didn't keep any kind of terramycin. Where I work It sells like crazy to everyone with cattle and swine too! Good lucK With the chick. Keep me updated if something changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by