1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bubbles in her eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barred Rockstar, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Barred Rockstar

Barred Rockstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    I have an older EE hen who I just noticed had clear bubbles in the corner of her eyes. They are not swollen and she seems otherwise healthy. I have already read older posts suggesting it's a respiratory infection. Are there any other non-serious causes of eye bubbles or should I cull asap? Is it worth giving it a day or two to see if it clears up? I'm not interested in trying to treat it if it is an infection. I assume the meat would be good if I took care in the cleaning and cooked it properly, what do you think?

2. Barred Rockstar

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Well, after taking a closer look at speckledhens flock commandments I decided to cull. I went out to the coop ready to do the deed whereupon I discovered that the bubbles are now gone and she has no other discharge or symptoms. I guess she gets a reprieve for now. [​IMG]

3. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Our rooster will get bubbles in his eye sometimes. They go away pretty quickly; I don't know what causes them.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sometimes if one of my chickens drinks to fast I see bubbles in the eye..... [​IMG]

5. Barred Rockstar

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Good to know. She looks the picture of health now so I guess I won't worry about it anymore. Thanks for the replys.

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    GOod to know she gets to live another day!

If you do get bubbles from a respiratory infection, Tylan drops in the eye work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by