Bubbles in it's eyes????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jencleg, May 12, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I have an approx 1 month old silkie that is having problems with his eyes...they keep getting bubbles in them?? [​IMG] Any ideas? Is it sickly? Will it give the other babies bubbly eyes too??? Thank you!!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It really depends on what is causing the bubbles in the eyes as to whether it can be spread to the rest of your flock.
    Any other symptoms? Discharge from the nares, sneezing/coughing?

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am treating my turkey for this now - it has only gotten worse - I am treating him with tylan 50 - the first time, I did it for 5 days - that was not long enough - it is some kind of bacterial infection and it SPREADS, so far, one of my bantams got it also and I am now treating him.
    I suggest you treat with antibiotics soon and keep him isolated

4. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Oh yeah.....I forgot to mention that I got them on Monday, and this is our first encounter with chicks....so yall are speaking greek to me!! Yikes! How long till I know if the others have caught it??

5. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    You won't know until the other one gets a bubbly eye also

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Did they all come from the same place? If so, are these the only birds you have?
    If they are new, they need to be quarantined from the rest of your flock.
    Is there any discharge from the holes in the beak(nares)?

7. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    These are only chicks...and I have NOT noticed anything from thier noses, but I also have only been able to handle them for short spurts of time over the last few days and with 6 chicks, we have not spent any real time concentrating on just 1 chick... [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You are dealing with a chronic respiratory disease (CRD.) Here's a link that you can go through and read the symptoms and treatments.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

9. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    UPDATE!! I went to check the chicks on Tuesday, his eyes were better! I had taken them off of the pine shavings, could it have just been irritation? or allergy? I did NOT get around to treating it with antibiotics so...is it a miracle? or just coincidence? [​IMG]

10. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    If you didn't do anything, then it will come back. Have you treated it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by