Bubbles in Muscovy Drakes Eyes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Feb 7, 2012.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I dont have a pic but it looks just like the one in this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/622142/bubbles-coming-out-of-eye-on-muscovy-any-ideas

I will fill the pool with clean water for him tomorrow so he can wash good. I read somewhere that its pretty normal for Muscovy to have this issue?

But I had a respiratory illness wipe out half my chickens earlier this year before I culled the whole flock due to it......So hopefully I am being paranoid about it but is it something to worry about?? I gave probiotics and ACV this evening.

Any insight helpful

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you washed his eye out with warm water? he may have something in there. Just as in the other post best to make sure he has clean water deep enough to wash his face in and keep an eye on it if it comes back then some medicated eye drops would be in order, I believe you can get Terrimycin eye drops at the feed store. Someone mentioned stress has anything changed in his enviroment?

3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    No real change except the other drake is in isolation due to an injury, but he does not care about that......Its in both eyes which makes me wonder about the something being in it.

4. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    No real change except the other drake is in isolation due to an injury, but he does not care about that......Its in both eyes which makes me wonder about the something being in it.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Both eyes raise red flag. I would go ahead and get some terramycin eye drops and start treatment. Ducks are really pretty tough when it comes to illnesses and diseases but this sounds like it could be something that needs attention. Does he have any discharge from nose and is he breathing normally? Eating good? chasing after the girls?

There is also a product called Vetericyn that you can spray into the eyes it's for infection and wounds.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    all other behavior is normal....just the bubbles

7. Sean S.

Sean S. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    I have a pekin drake, seems to be a special needs duck for lack of a better description. We call him Steve, remember #5 in Multiplicity! He a TSC pekin.

He gets foamy eyes from time to time. He has balance issues that have gotten much better with age, he is almost 2 now. He also let's the flock pluck his tail feathers, doesn't try to stop them or move.

After reading the posts in the link, I would say that it could be stress related too. He has been isolated with a gimpy fawn and white runner duck for at least 6 months or so, in a large brooder pen. Ther get along really well and have been mom and dad to a group of scovies, and three sebastopol goslings.

Since he has been separated he hasn't had the foamy eyes only a couple of times. (also has his tailfeathers) :lol:

added: Just wanted to clarify, there probably should be a treatment of some sort, I don't have any suggestions. Just my experience with Steve, and he's far from normal! :/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have a Muscovy hen doing this.. i took a good look at her this past weekend and cleaned the eye up but it appears to be nothing all that serious as everything else seems A-Ok.. mine have water deep enough to wash out.. but at the moment our outdoors is really dirty, A time of year where the weather fights on whether it would prefer spring or winter [​IMG] causing frequent melting and freezing.

I don't have any eye antibiotics here with the exception of poly for eyes.. i'm uncertain whether one can use that though? i guess i need to get something from the farm supply for birds.

9. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I asked around about my buff duck having these eye bubbles a few years ago. With her it was really scary, because at the same time she had trouble walking and refused food and water. No one had any answers for me, but I nursed her back to health by just washing it out with just clean water and making her eat. I never did find out how it happened, and she never got it again.

But I have a female Muscovy that had this happen to her twice last year, and then once so far this year. None of the other ducks get it. The oddest part about the foamy eyes for my Muscovy hen though is the fact that is only happens to her when it's been raining all day. Not sure if she just gets something in her eye because of the rain, or if she refuses to go wash her face since she's already wet, but I thought it was odd. It goes always when the rain stops though, so I don't know what I could do to stop it.

10. linen53

linen53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Fremont County, CO
    Every once in awhile one of my Muscovies gets the foamy bubbles in one or two of their eyes. Their sinuses drain into their eyes.As long as they have fresh water to dunk their heads in they can clean their eyes themselves. It has never been related to an infection so far (knock on wood) but it can. It has never spread from one duck to another so for me anyway, it isn't contagious.

I set out 4 buckets of water each day and change it twice during the day. They won't dunk their heads in dirty water. Plus when it is warm enough I set up my two kiddie pools for them to bathe in.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by