Bubbles in the eye? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Lagerdogger, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I have an eight week old bronze hen that I noticed had a swollen eye. When I examined it more closely, the eye had bubbles in it, as if they were forming from the tear duct. The other turkeys had been pecking at it of course, so I sent the bird to the hospital brooder. Last night (24 hrs later), the swelling had subsided but there weree still a few bubbles. Today, swelling is back and there are still a few bubbles. She may have sneezed once, but otherwise does not seem to be having any other troubles. She eats and drinks well.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not sure....maybe someone will chime in...

3. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
  5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Post shots if possible (one pic `beak on' so as to compare degree/location of swelling with unaffected side of face. One lateral shot - involved side of face; hopeful swelling is owing to acute trauma & subsequent localized infection). Our jakes/toms would occasionally injure one another's eyes/`duct work'. The resulting drainage from nares was clear and formed nearly transparent crust on beaks below nares; `bubbles' did form in `corners' of eyes, but was whitish foam (looked like whipped egg white) easily removed by irrigating with saline eye drops and decreased in amount as injury healed.

Anatomy and pathology: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/ Search by LESION Location/Infraorbital Sinus (not for squeamish).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by