Bubbles, sneezing and a sealed eye.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AlleysChicks, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    I bought 9 silkie chicks on Saturday. They are between 2-3 months old I’d say. Anyway a few have been sneezing and one has bubbles in its eye and is swollen around both eyes. One of the paints has a sealed eye. There was no sneezing or anything at the breeders house.

I just cleaned them out and put VetRX in their water. What else can I do? I’ve not dealt with this before.
    image.jpg

2. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
  3. AlleysChicks

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    I won’t be able to breed and sell from these will I? That’s what I bought them for.

4. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    Right now, you need to address their health and welfare. You'll have to cross the breeding and selling bridge when you get to it.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

I'm no pro but Respritory needs water soluble antibiotics to fight off secondary infection..Not cureable ...I use Oxy Tetra -A It was recommended by a University Vet for My ILT infection in my Birds...

AlleysChicks likes this.
  6. AlleysChicks

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    I’m sorry that sounded like I don’t care about them. I do, I actually bought these to help increase my silkie flock. I had planned to sell a few chicks in the spring.

How contagious is this? Will my other birds be infected? I have about 30 birds outside of various ages.

7. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    I understand. I wonder if @Chickassan knows anything about this.

8. chickens really

All respritory is contagious...Makes your Birds carriers..No cure....

9. chickens really

Some Birds die and some are just carriers...It depends how badly they get infected..I run heat for my Birds..Without it they would die or continually show symptoms when stressed..Your Chicks are showing symptoms because of stress...

10. AlleysChicks

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    This upsets me. I have over $150 in these 9 birds. I messaged the breeder but haven’t heard anything back. So is it legal to sell birds with respiratory problems or carriers?

twisted-acres-farm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: