Bubbles the Peahen needs a new home

Chicken_Girl75495

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Van Alstyne--40m NNE fr Dallas
I have an animal sanctuary and among my charges are 27 chickens (no one goes to freezer camp here!). Last spring, a peahen showed up from down the road. The previous owner did not want her back--she had had peacocks who, one by one, had disappeared, she thought from bobcats or coyotes. (We don't have those, not sure why, and don't want to jinx it!)

Anyway, since the arrival of Bubbles (so named by us because she played with bubbles with the little grandson of the previous owner), my hens have not produced like they have in the past. We are used to 22 or so eggs a day, and now we are down to 2 to 8. The vet and the guy from the Ag Mart have no ideas what could be causing the decreased production. Since they seem to steer very clear of Bubbles, I think they are in a fairly constant state of anxiety over her.

She has not attacked anyone that I have seen, but she is pretty imposing, about twice their size. She flies well and has protected herself nicely. The dogs do not bother her (not their style) and the cats are not at all interested.

She has gone through her moult and looks quite nice. She is a bit drab but has the beautiful teal/emerald neck and the typical crown.

I am 40 miles or so NE of Dallas and would like to find her a good home. Any takers? I think no one eats these birds so I am not too worried about that, but I would like to think she would have friends of her own species at her new place.

Please write me at chris RN (at) Brian and Christine (dot) com with the spaces and whatnot altered. (This is supposed to keep spam to a minimum.... yeah, right, lol).

Christine

Bubbles got a GREAT home! A young family about 8 miles from us came to get her and have been sending me updates. They love her!

We are going to go visit over the weekend or early next week, and two of our rescue horses in our sanctuary will likely join that little family as well.

God is so good.

Christine

Back
Top Bottom