Bubblies coming out of chickens eye

Chickenlover151

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Conneticut
So I let the girls outside and found this. She’s acting normal and eating and drinking fine, she is the most pecked. Could this be from my other chickens or what else?
E696791A-7607-4957-BE4B-62C0B55E6033.jpeg

Chickenlover151

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Conneticut
Sorry for all the questions, im just worried. I have one more, she has no loss in egg laying or any other symtoms expect for her eye bubbles, she has also had no contact with wild birds or carriers so how would she have gotten it?

Isaac 0

Enabler
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Sorry for all the questions, im just worried. I have one more, she has no loss in egg laying or any other symtoms expect for her eye bubbles, she has also had no contact with wild birds or carriers so how would she have gotten it?

It could be the start of respiratory disease such as MG, however, bubbles can sometimes be seen if the area was recently pecked, or irritated with debris. You can apply Neosporin, or more preferably an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin, and see if the issue resolves itself.

Chickenlover151

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Conneticut
It could be the start of respiratory disease such as MG, however, bubbles can sometimes be seen if the area was recently pecked, or irritated with debris. You can apply Neosporin, or more preferably an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin, and see if the issue resolves itself.
Alright I will try that, I am making another thread with more questions about mycoplasma and coryza :)

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I don’t think that coryza is very common in the northeast where you live, but mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) is found everywhere. Only a culture would identify the disease. That can be done by your vet, possibly your state vet, and through private test labs, such as Zoologix, which is more expensive. They will send you the swabs to collect and mail in.
I agree with @Isaac 0 to clean the eye twice a day with saline eye wash and using the Terramycin eye ointment. If that is unavailable, I would use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. If you see sneezing, gasping, rales or crackles, then I would treat with Tylosin, doxycycline, oxytetracycline or others that treat MG. Here is some info:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

GRB73

Songster
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
So I let the girls outside and found this. She’s acting normal and eating and drinking fine, she is the most pecked. Could this be from my other chickens or what else? View attachment 2497883
My Ameracauna had the same issue last summer. The bubbles were there for a few hours and then gone. She had been digging and poking around in the bushes before they appeared. Either she poked her eye or had some kind of allergic reaction. She was totally fine afterwards.

I would just watch her and see if any other symptoms develop.

Top Bottom