1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bubbling eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stephanie Ann, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Stephanie Ann

Stephanie Ann New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi everyone! I noticed tonight that one of my chickens eyes is bubbling. Does anyone know what is going on and what I should do about it?

[​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Any other symptoms?Any discharge in her mouth?Some people have reported that there chicken had bubbly eyes when it was cold.Diseases such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum will have symptoms associated with bubbly eyes and will progress to worse symptoms such as Sneezing,Swollen Face,Discharge.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If a bubbly eye is the only symptom, I would treat it as an eye infection or simple eye irritation. If, however, your hen is behaving as if she doesn't feel well, isolated in a corner, tail held low, mute, nodding off as she is standing up, she may indeed have a more serious respiratory illness, especially if you've noticed sneezing.

I would begin with simple saline eye drops. By the end of the day, if that doesn't stop the bubbles, you will need to get an antibiotic eye ointment or eye drops. Tetracycline eye ointment can usually be found in most feed stores, or you can pick up some from any vet.

4. Stephanie Ann

Stephanie Ann New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Yesterday I went out and bought saline drops to flush out her eye. While I was doing that I noticed that she had green mucus coming from her nostrils that seemed to be affecting her breathing. Also, the skin around her foamy eye is visibly swollen.[​IMG] I'm starting to think this is MG or Coryza or something similar. I researched for a couple hours and found a few sources that said doxycycline is safe to use on chickens. I happened to have some on hand and started her on it this morning. They are capsules that can be opened and emptied of their powder. The recommended dosage was 100 mg in 8 ounces of water. The capsules are 100 mg each, so I added 3 to 24 ounces of water. Any thoughts on this? I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by