Bubbly eye and sneezing *Pic Posted*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Missouri Maiden, May 9, 2009.

1. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    I have about 4 week old chicks, and one white wyn. seems to have bubbles in her eye and is sneezing. She seems perfectly fine besides that, I've seperated her and put her with two other chicks. Does anybody know what this is and what I can do for her?? Also the bottom lid under her eye is pulled down a little bit, but she can still close the eye and everything.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First check the ammonia levels and dampness in the bedding. Make sure it isn't cedar bedding, too.

Does the chick smell bad? Could be Coryza or Mycoplasmosis/CRD. She should be separated from the others. My policy is to cull any respiratory illness due to the possible carrier status of the birds. Most will treat, I won't. Separate the sickie, disinfect well inc waterer and feeder, watch for symptoms in the other birds with her. She may recover, she may not. If it's a virus, no antibiotic will help and even if it's bacterial, it may not be advisable to keep a bird with a compromised immune system.

3. Missouri Maiden

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    I use pine shavings for the bedding. She doesn't smell either.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hard to say, then. Keep her separate and observe. Provide supportive care (plain yogurt, unfiltered ACV in her water, scrambled eggs for extra protein) and see if it progresses. Could have gotten something in her eye, possibly.

5. Missouri Maiden

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Thanks, for the advice.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Please! If you haven't familiarized yourself with diseases you should. The USDA has a web site that gives out FREE information.

It just seems to me that too many are posting in with illness problems that they should have eliminated all possible communicable diseases first.

I recently received my packet of information and learned alot. I fully intend to post this information inside my coop until I recognize the symptoms of serious disease.

Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I wonder how many are trying to get away with "cleaning" their coops once a year like some of the books talk about? How many are washing water and feed containers adequately?

One thing I learned about is NOT to allow other chicken people into your coops. Washing shoes and clothes after visiting anothers coop. The spread of disease and how it is spread.

How many have a quarantine coop set up? A coop seperate and away from you main coop. Or are you just trusting those you buy birds and eggs from. Yes disease can be spread by eggs and the containers they come in.

While you may not know what it IS, you should at least have some idea of what it ISN'T.

It just scares the bejeebers out of me everytime I read these posts. I always wonder if If this common and what I've gotten myself in for?[​IMG]

7. Missouri Maiden

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:Sorry I'm new at this. I'm the only person around the chick and she has never been around other chickens except for the other 20 I got.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Sorry I'm new at this. I'm the only person around the chick and she has never been around other chickens except for the other 20 I got.

What I said wasn't directed so much at you as to get you to familiarize yourself with poultry disease and how to avoid it. Please I advise everyone who hasn't to go to the USDA web site and order the current information. It is free and you can order multiple copies for family and friends. Also to check out every book on poultry from the public library and do a brief read. It can be conforting to know that you've done everything you can and that the problem is not your fault as may be the case here. Best wishes Rancher

9. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Would you be willing to post that pic again? For some reason it's not showing up and when i try to put the address for the pic in the browser, it don't show up either.. Would be very helpful to me as I have a chick who has same eye problems...

Goddess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by