Bubbly Eye

FreeSpirit

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
I have a five month old easter egg chicken that has been healthy thus far. I had picked her up this morning 10/25/07 around 9 o'clock and petted her. I sensed nothing wrong with her and she looked great and spunky. I was out in the coop with the flock all morning and no one was sneezing or had anything of the sort.

But I went out there just awhile ago (12:45 pm) and heard this easter egger sneeze quite loudly. I went to investigate and discovered some bubbles in the corner of one eye. She looks healthy and is eating and drinking fine. Her nose and breathing is clear. She's acting normally.

I want to be on top of whatever might be developing. Any advice? Let me know if there is something I should buy to give her right now to prevent any development of something serious.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jordie

Were the bubbles clear? Sneezing alone isnt necessarily a problem. Sometimes environmental things can affect the birds, just like they do us. And bubbles, if they are just clear without mucus, may be a reaction to dust or something foreign inside the eye. I'd say to observe the bird and the others with her awhile before resorting to antibiotics. See if any other symptoms show up.
As always, we recommend unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar in the water (not metal waterer) and a clove of garlic in the water or chopped up in some food plus perhaps a good vitamin supplement, all to boost the immune system.
I'm sure Diana will pop in with some more detailed advice for you.

I have a light brahma that gets this from time to time. Its her own fault!
roll.png
She refuses to sleep on the perch and insists on sleeping on the floor, so you know she's right in that dust. I've tried putting her on the perch at night, she fusses and fights, and jumps right back down.

hmmm...does indeed sound as though it might be something irritating the eye... birds are so much more sensitive to things that we are unaware of.
Vit A deficiency is commonly associated with the eye and runny beaks ... I must admit a bit stumped as to what could have brought it on so quickly

Thanks for the responses! I soo appreciate it! Sarey (my easter egger) does too.

Yes, the bubbles were clear. No mucus. The eye is clear. (and so is her nose, beak and breathing for that matter)

I must admit, I panicked a bit... knowing that bubbles in eyes is also seen in Coryza (sp?) and I live in California where it is often seen, but she doesn't LOOK sick. She's always been an active bird and she's racing laps around the yard right now.

I put some contact saline solution in her eye and the bubbles got bigger like air was leaking -- sorry, that is just how I can explain it. It was like holding a rubber innertube underwater. I wiped her eye and now there is just little ones.

She seems like she is protecting the eye... it seems slightly sunken to me but I cannot be sure.

I'm sure it could be something in it. I recently (yesterday morning) dumped a box of straw out in the yard that was pretty dusty and had some DE mixed in.

I'll keep an eye on her. Just gave the flock some fresh water with ACV in it and will give her a little vitamin solution I have for chickens.

Thanks again for the replies, it is much appreciated.

Jordie

Back
Top Bottom