Bubbly eyed chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haileyeverhart, Apr 11, 2017.

1. haileyeverhart

haileyeverhart Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Illinois
    I have 4 chicks atm, 2 are ameracaunas and 2 are Jumbo cornish crosses, I got the jumbos from some kid who got them as a present and didnt know what to do with them awhile back. Theyre all about 3 months old now and one of the jumbos has a bubbly eye. Her head doesnt smell, the eye itself looks fine and she acts normal, I'm thinking with how fast shes's grown in such little time her respiratory issues are kicking up as they do with that breed. I'm not assuming its anything contagious considering her breed, and if i seperate her she'll scream nonstop. Heard about tetracyline and how it helps this. I feed them twice a day so their growth doesnt get out of hand, but they still skyrocketed in growth. Any suggestions? Been two days and its a very mild case only 1 bubble in each corner sometimes with red eye whites. let me know!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Does she have any other symptoms besides the watery/bubbly eyes?

Eye issues can be a sign of respiratory illness or can be caused by dry dusty bedding/feed, ammonia fumes from feces, etc. You can flush the eyes with saline to see if this helps her.

Tetracycline can be used to help treat secondary infections from respiratory illness, but won't cure the illness. If you have some you can try it to see if it helps, but you may want to check her environment first and use something like VetRx for a few days to see if there is any improvement.

Watch to see that she is staying hydrated and offer some poultry vitamins in her water a couple of times a week.

Keep us posted.

3. haileyeverhart

Sep 21, 2014
    Illinois
    Thanks for responding, the innards of her eyes seem enlarged but thats the only other symptom other than a few bubbles. She acts normal and I give them electrolyte water with vitamins always and give them time to eat bugs and grit outside in a pen. I read that Tylan 50 helps with this? I might get that at my local Big R but if you think its something else let me know.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

5. haileyeverhart

Sep 21, 2014
    Illinois
    She doesnt have the bubbles anymore at all. Just the enlarged inner eye.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

Do you think it may have gotten pecked or have debris in it?

You can try flushing the eye with saline and take a good look to see if there is anything in the eye or if there is a small wound. You can also apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eye if you feel like it may be infected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by