bubbly eyes ....please help :( talked to AG PROF...new pic pg2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klf73, May 16, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have one hen(hatcher here 2 yrs ago) that was attacked by a coyote last year, not sure if this has anything to do with it but it is something the other hens haven't been exposed to. I noticed on the last rainy day we had this hen looked like she had something in her eye but she wouldn't let me catch her to check it out, when I checked that night it was gone. I chalked it up to her having something in her eye. I noticed her again today, raining again, and dh helped me catch her. No breathing issues, no sneezing, no loud rattles, nothing else but the eyes. It was in both eyes, one a little bit and this is the other...
    her eyes normally look red around them, not really swollen.
    Please, any ideas? I have a LOT of rare chicks in the house, wash my hands all the time, but the thought of culling my girls makes me sick, as well as all these babies.
    eta- she can breathe fine, she was getting stressed out at being held(and inspected) which is why she opened her mouth
    [​IMG]

update- talked to the Professor at Maine AG School. She said if it was CRD the other birds would be showing signs. The others are still fine [​IMG] . We did something that you might think is horrible but I took a hen that was getting picked on in her own pen and put her with this hen in her coop, this hen is sweet so I know she won't pick on this one. The added one will be our canary in a cage going into the mine. I don't want to sacrifice one but don't want to risk anyone else getting sick if I can help it. Symptoms should show in 18-48 hours if she is indeed infected with CRD, almost 24 hrs now and she is still fine. I hope I am not jinxing myself but I would like to stay hopeful. The professor said she could have a genetic issue, blocks tear ducts, allergies, dirt in her eyes could cause this she said, and it could even be genetic. Since the bubbles are completely clear we have hope. I am to flush her eyes with artificial tears and she is calling us tomorrow. She was pretty sure we are OK though as she was with her flock over 4 days ago when she started showing sypmtoms and they are all still fine. I am crossing my fingers [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    oh, and first sign of this didn't happen until after I used ivermectin pour on about 4-5 weeks ago(for mites), could that be a cause??

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ivermectin pour on is not the cause. You are most likely dealing with a chronic respiratory disease. You can try using tylan 50 injectable to treat her. You can inject it or give it to her orally. Oral dosage is 1/2cc once a day for 7 days. There is a 14 day egg withdrawal period.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    where could it have come from? How/where do I get this tested to be sure?
    eta- I don't want to treat if I am just going to have to cull. I have multiple rare breed chicks in the house that should all be unaffected that I can't risk getting sick. What I need is a quick diagnosis so I can proceed accordingly...the chick will be going into an outbuilding where these birds never are....or have ever been. I appreciate the help.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:Hi,

Is that a dark cornish breed at all? I know nothing about that breed except I was chatting with a very knowledgable person on here that owns them. I had mentioned how a couple of birds had all foam in there eye at a show. I explained what they looked like and she told me it was a Dark Cornish and they have a tendancy to get this when under stress. She also told me it was not CRD. If you PM me I will let you know her user name. I just don't want to blurt it out on here [​IMG] She's actually in a neighboring state from you [​IMG]

***edit****
    BTW I'm not saying it isn't CRD I just am trying to think of a possibility out. B/c if it is CRD you will have to cull/kill the bird [​IMG] There is no cure for CRD and yes IT SPREADS!!! Make sure you wash all hands properly and where clean clothes around your other birds and I have my fingers crossed this is not the case [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    not sure what she is, she was a project from another breeder on here. I would guess she was some sort of cornish because she has short legs with cankles, pea comb, and the rim around her eye that I have only seen on the cornish, other than the extra fluff she has the build of a cornish. I would love you to pm me her name, thank you

7. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:I just PM'd ya.

Good luck [​IMG]

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    we did open her mouth and inspect her nose thoroughly, nothing unusual [​IMG]

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Beth G. :

Quote:I just PM'd ya.

Good luck [​IMG]

thanks alot [​IMG]

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    went out tonight to put this girl away and dh came with me to check her out. The bubbles are gone?? she does have a dirt clump at the back corner of her eye. I will take new pics tomorrow in the light. We still put her by herself to be sure but if it was CRD would the bubbles just go away like that?? dh said "told ya she just had dirt in her eyes" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by