Bubbly Swollen Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by h0m3gr0wn, Aug 30, 2013.

1. h0m3gr0wn

h0m3gr0wn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2012
    Alrighty...I have made a lot of mistakes with this chicken thing. Live and learn right? I seem to learn best by trial and error. Anyway, I have a hen with bubbly swollen eye and bubbles on the other eye, no swelling yet. My initial searches led me to believe that some disinfectant ointment and regular washing with saline solution would fix the problem of 'eye worm' or some such ailment that no one quite knew the name of. This AM I searched out bubbles as they seems to be a problem of note. I found out that bubbles are a different problem. Sounds more like chicken bronchitis or something contagious and nasty. So, here is my question for you. What do I do? I have read several different ideas. I have no issue killing the infected chicken and burning it. I just don't want to kill an entire flock needlessly.

My mistakes...adding adult chickens from across town and from another state. From now on I will be purchasing chicks from a reputable hatchery all at once.

2. h0m3gr0wn

h0m3gr0wn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2012
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can't disinfect much but the feeders, waterers, the roosts, nest boxes, and clean out and burn the litter. 10% bleach water with a bit of soap is good at disinfecting, and pick up any droppings (good luck with that because I could never get them all.) Here is a link for diseases and treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by