Bubmlefoot help...pictures added

suburbanduckmom

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Belmont, CA
My duck has some pretty nasty looking bumblefoot going on. I am 3 days into treating it with cephelexin. It looks like the biggest is getting bigger. I don't really want to cut into it. I've tried soaking it but she doesn't tolerate it well. How long should I give the cephelixin.

Do I need to cut it out?

Right Foot

43005_bumblefoot.jpg

Left Foot

43005_bumblefoot_left.jpg

barnie

We have the same problem again with this duck. She isn't limping but she has the scabs and some swelling and it was bleeding a bit. She is eating, drinking, and running just fine. It doesn't seem to hurt her when I touch the area. We were able to fix it before with cephelexin and soaking/neosporin.

I'm thinking it wasn't cured all the way. This duck is huge and very strong. We tried to get a closer look at it last night and there is no way this duck will be still enough for surgery. Between the two of us and some towels we couldn't get her to stop kicking us. I have scratches all over from her toes. Her heart was beating so hard I could hear it so we let her swim for a while in the clean bath tub and put her to bed. This is a lap duck who likes to be held and cuddled and this was just too much for her. And me.

Has anyone had success with Tricide-Neo powder with a bad case. I put an order in to Koi Acres so it should be here in a few days. A vet simply isn't in the budget. It breaks my heart to say that because I love this duck so much.

Also, a need some very large duck shoes.

We will begin the cephelexin again tonight.

Last edited:
Give them a warm soapy bath. If you suspect there is pus in there cut into it with a sterilized X-acto knife and remove it all, especially if there is a hard yellow core. Disinfect it with iodine and then cover with Neosporin. Make sure you place the duck by itself in some new straw bedding.

Peter Brown told me 14 days on the Cephalexin. There is a gel called StaphASeptic, to put on the feet, alternate with Bacitracin ointment. One for morning, one for evening. treat twice a day (at least). Neoprene Duck Booties from Nettie (on here) will help keep ointment in & poop out. Also Tricide-Neo soaks (5 min. a day for a week) works great too. It can be bought at a fish store, it is an ulcer dip (powder) for Koi. Go to www.indoorducks.com for Nettie's duck booties, meanwhile condoms (rubber bands hold them on) will do. I have a lot of Bumblefoot experience. Good luck.
wink.png

What exactly are you asking? You've already been given some great advice. Are you just asking about the Tricide-Neo powder? If so, I have never used that so will have to defer to others that have. As far as Bumble foot goes, that is not really bad at all (comparatively). I have seen much, MUCH worse. I got some adult ducks last year from a large breeder and they all had Bumble foot so bad it would have shocked you they could even walk.

Sometimes you can get it to heal without removing the plug, but you will be better off if you can get it removed. At a minimum, get the bird set up somewhere (if she's not already) where you can give her fresh dry bedding daily and new swimming water daily (or twice daily if possible). That is huge in getting Bumble foot under control. I usually try that first (along with a topical) and very often they heal without an antibiotic. You can also, of course, do the antibiotic if you wish (we do that with bad cases or birds that haven't responded well to previous treatment) or try the Tricide-Neo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom