Buck..Buck Bacaw! Girl only noises?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sticksoup, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    My boyfriend is adamant that only hens emit the classic "Buck buck BACAW" sound. Is this true?
    We only have hens- no rooster to prove him wrong. [​IMG]

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I'm not really sure I know what sound your trying to describe - is it the egg laying sound?

My alpha roo will join in on the egg laying song - but it sounds like a rooster, not a hen - it's just a little different, you know?

If that's not what you wanted to hear, don't read this to your boyfriend [​IMG]

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My roosters sing the egg song with my hens every day. They'll often hear the hen saying, "buck buck bacaw," and run to the hen house to cackle with her. I think they make all the same sounds as my hens, in addition to their crowing.

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I had a few roosters for a short time (not supposed to have them here, so I eventually re-homed them) and I was amazed at the "hen sounds" that came out of them when the hens got into their "laying song". It was really amazing! [​IMG] Genie

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    my leghorn roo, appropriately named shenanigan, makes that sound when i startle him or scare him out of the way when he's being a brat.

6. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    just like the hens can grow the rooster can bock

7. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    I read somewhere that the "egg laying song" derrived from when jungle ranging jungle fowl would wander off to lay an egg and the flock had moved to a different area in the meantime... the "egg laying song" was a communication for them to find the flock again. If that is true, it would stand to reason that the roosters "joining in the egglaying song" are just answering the "where are you" with "here we are". Maybe?

8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:yep, exactly. i've had many a roo make the sound to see where his hens are. jungle fowl are very vocal.

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yep, agree with warhorse. I believe it a call to let the hen know where the rest of the flock is.
    My rooster will also make this call when danger is present.

10. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Quote:I have always wondered what EARTHLY reason there could be for the egg squawk - doesn't it seem like it would just shout "Attention Predators! Blue light special! Come get me and we'll throw in a tasty egg absolutely free!" I've wondered how the jungle fowl managed to stay around long enough to be domesticated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by