buck, buck, buck, BUCKAAAWWWW!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by timco, Jul 20, 2008.

1. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    One of our RIRs started doing the BUCKAAAWWW!!! thing yesterday. Do many hens do this or is she turning into a she-male? It is actually quite loud and funny! Our girls began laying last tuesday and we now have 12 eggs. Someone is laying soft-shell eggs, 2 a day, and we are giving them pleanty of oyster shell with the scratch. No EE eggs yet...but they are now doing the squat. The BR's will squat if you get within 2 feet of them, and if you pet them, the tail goes straight up...One of our BRs had an elongated egg for her first, and it was a double yolk. Would that have produced chicks if fertilized?

Love the site,

Tim

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    that is what happens when they get excited about something, like laying an egg, we call it the declaration of egg-dependance [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    And [​IMG]

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I call it the egg party. I like it. One of my roos gets in on the action and cheers the ladies on.

Only one chick per egg if fertilized and incubated. I don't know how it would affect the chick who was hatched from a double yolk egg.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    We call it the egg song - they just like to show off. [​IMG]

Hatching a double yoker is close to impossible - sometimes they'll develop some, but they often die, they just run out of room and smother. Speckledhen did a really neat post on her attempt at hatching a double yoked egg and it looked like all was going well, but the chicks died in the end. [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The "egg song" is a holdover from the time before domestication when the ancestors of modern chickens foraged in the forest & jungles.

A hen would establish a nest and return to it to lay until enough collected to sit on.

Each time she broke away from her flock to go lay an egg, the flock would continue foraging, moving away from the nest.

After the egg was layed the "egg song" would help them locate the rest of the flock.

7. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    that is so funny...we had our first egg 2 days ago and she was SINGING!!! then everyone joined in......now they have all been doing it for 2 days....just no more eggs yet.

I think its funny

8. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:my hen is weird because she makes all the noise when she's not laying. you'd never know she had an egg if you went by sound.

i agree about hatching double yolkers, but did you see this? NEAT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by