Buck Fencing... Just a couple questions for those of you who have it

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chick_a_dee, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We're getting ready to put more fencing in this May, and although I'd prefer to have wood posts with 4 lines of electric everywhere I know the reality is that I just cannot because we don't have enough soil in all the places. Our fencing guy, who came out yesterday suggested we put up buck fencing where we can't put up posts so here is the start.

We're doing ours new, and its not going to be wired together but instead the knotches cut in the two upright posts, and they'd be bolted together... our top rail sits in the V made by the posts, and the others would be nailed to the posts on either side.

My question is... If the fence is going to be a perimeter fence (perimeter to crop field and our driveway) do I need to put a rail on the side that faces away from the field or can I go with 3 rails... one in the V and two on the side the horses are on? We'd be running extenders with electric all the way around anyway so don't worry about escape! Here is a link to a photo... their posts aren't knotched like we are doing ours... knotching prevents the posts from moving around. http://www.danielmack.com/images/BuckFence.1.jpg

Anyone
    who has this fencing, again can I just put two rails below my rail in the V for the perimeter? It's just for horses and like I said there will be electric on the inside.

2. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    i'm going to bump this up cause its gettin' no love!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by