"Buckbeak" says, time out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmeadow, Mar 14, 2018.

1. chickenmeadow

chickenmeadow Crowing

Jun 14, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My Coop
    So you know how some parents seem to think that their children are the best at everything, well..... Has anyone else seen their rooster do this "master flock managing"? My one & only flock rooster (an Ameraucana), Buckbeak, is brilliant, just brilliant, really! He makes every hen that comes into the coop do a "time out" in a corner, he gently tells & shows them how to put their head in the corner & bow before walking around the coop, I guess it means behave yourself. The other day he had 3 hens doing this, like a circus ring master.

This behavior just started after the broody hen was having fights with a hen/s that got too close to or even looked at her chicks, even though they are behind protective wire. I was hoping to hear from someone else that their roo has shown this behavior with his gals or some other behavior to keep the squabbling down & keep peace. Best wishes.

I posted prior about how the broody & chicks were doing at this site & included the rooster. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/todays-the-day-chick-mingling.1227065/#post-19676454 rules by Buckbeak.jpg

alexa009 likes this.
  2. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I have heard of roosters having funny behavior before but definitely haven't heard of anything like that! Lol! My roo is 15-16 weeks already crowing but I think he is still convinced to behave like a pullet.

chickenmeadow likes this.
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Haven’t seen this but wanna follow it cause I’m curious.I have two both very smart but never seen them do this.

chickenmeadow and alexa009 like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have had a cockbird that couldn't break up the broody fights,
    he tried but I had to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: