Amer

Advocate of Shiloh
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I'm in Ohio to go to Ohio International, and I heard there are many Buckeye breeders in Ohio. I am a Buckeye fancier myself, with and I am going to get bantam Buckeyes there! I love Buckeyes because of there hardiness and free ranging qualities, plus they grow very fast and lay lots of eggs. This is a thread for Buckeye owners to get together and discuss Buckeyes.

I got a bantam pair from Aaron Baker at the Ohio National. We also have a standard trio of good lineage. They are great dual purpose birds, they grow really fast!

I have LF BE. Cackle stock. 4 pullets and a cockerel that are part of my main flock, plus an other cockerel that unfortunately will be culled this week. He's a beautiful boy, has a wonderful comb, but off color in his feather pattern.

So far, I am impressed with their behavior, and the size of the keeper cockerel. I've named him Goliath. My intent is that he will replace Jack the EE roo (avatar pic). Currently, both boys are co-existing. Goliath squeals like a little girl and runs when ever Jack gives chase. Both boys should produce some wonderful sex links this spring.

Yes, sometimes hatchery stock is never like breeder stock. The nice thing about Buckeyes is that they are gentle giants. Whenever I run into my roo in a narrow doorway I say 'excuse me' because he always sidesteps me, then runs away.

I have 5 buckeye hens , and a roo.
3 of the hens are not show quality but the other hen and roo were bought at a show in Alberta. Those too are still quite young (May hatch). The roo hasn't started crowing yet.

I had a dozen leghorns until the other day. They were so domineering that I really haven't gotten a chance to really get to know the buckeyes yet.

20171106_103140.jpg 20171106_102658.jpg

Im sorry for butting in, but do Buckeyes have another name? Im in the UK and have never heard of them. They look very similar to our Rhodies..... :/
Edit* just had a quick google, and they are a breed of their own. Possibly originating in Ohio... :)

Back
Top Bottom