1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Buckeye chicks...roos or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heather8183, May 17, 2010.

1. Heather8183

Heather8183 In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    We ended up with 15 chicks. I'm thinking only 3 are roos but I know I can't be that lucky! I read that Buckeye roos have longer darker wings and tails, so that's what I'm judging by.

Here's the whole crew. Notice some of them are really light...like yellow [​IMG] Are those really even Bucks??
    [​IMG]

Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (see how light the one on the left is compared to him?)
    [​IMG]

The other 12 don't have long dark wings and definately don't have tails...

Thanks for your insight! [​IMG]

2. Heather8183

Heather8183 In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    No one has any idea?

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    This way of sexing is not very reliable, I would wait til they grow [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Way too early for me.....they're adoreable though!

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco 8 Years

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you are feather sexing, that doesn't apply to all breeds. You should be able to tell by about 4-weeks who is looking roo-ish. I just hatched and got a shipment of chicks that now give me Buckeyes. I am really looking forward to seeing them grow. Good luck with yours.

6. petrelline

petrelline Songster

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    You can't feather sex buckeye chicks. I was sure I could with my batch, I even marked them, and I was totally wrong. The chicks are lighter and darker at random. Also the "longer and darker wings and tails" thing applies once they've grown up. The feathering changes as they grow.

Sorry. You'll just have to wait. I have 22 16-weekers and there's five where I'm still not sure what sex they are. [​IMG]

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The Op is Color Sexing them, Not Feather sexing them! It is a way with buckeyes, but I find it unreliable....

8. boogiedog

boogiedog Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    No sexing advice to offer but I LOVE the pic of the little butt feathers. Too cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: