Buckeye feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ShaggysGirl, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Hi Guys,
    I currently use kent multi flock for the older chicks and kent chick go starter for under 8 week olds.
    We have a new feed store just opened 3 days ago. They will be carrying buckeye feeds. I looked online and buckeye doesn't have a multi flock so if I do go to buckeye it will be when all are 18 - 20 weeks so they can all be on it.
    What has been your experience with the buckeye feed?
    One thing I like is the buckeye in under $10 a 50lb bag while I am paying over $14 for kent

Edited to add * I looked up buckeye feed in the message board search engine but mostly post about Buckeye chickens popped up [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  3. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks Chris

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I like Buckeye feeds. Fed the 18% layer and the 16%, but wanted the pullet developer and the feedstore where I got the Buckeye doesn't stock that Buckeye product.

5. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:You must be talking about Masserant's! I was there this weekend too and hope my flock will like the Buckeye feed. I was disappointed they aren't able to carry the Purina line.

6. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:You must be talking about Masserant's! I was there this weekend too and hope my flock will like the Buckeye feed. I was disappointed they aren't able to carry the Purina line.

Hey Neighbor,
    Yep that is the place. I have been getting kent feed from hachman's which I do like a lot but if buckeye is good and it saves me 4 plus a bag that is what I'll go with. The folk at Masserant's seem very nice too and they are carrying some of the better dog & cat foods too.

7. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:Thanks I'm glad it is a good feed [​IMG]

8. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    As it turns out, mine don't seem too impressed with Buckeye's layer crumble, so I probably won't buy it again. The TSC near me is carrying Purina now and it's less expensive than the Kent.

9. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    Any time you change feeds it takes a little while for them to get use to it. Don't give up on the Buckeye. It is a very good feed and has been around a long time..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by