1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

buckeye & preening sussex pics

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wren, Jul 19, 2007.

1. wren

wren Songster 11 Years

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Here's two of my buckeyes perching on my leg-they're 8 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

A buckeye and a speckled sussex preening before their nap in a favorite corner.
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Very pretty birds. They sorta look like a RIR. I have never heard of a Buckeye chicken.Thanks for the new introduction. Do they lay brown eggs??

3. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Songster

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi Wren,

I'm so glad you posted pictures of your Buckeyes! I wish I'd gotten some. I'm a Buckeye right here in the Buckeye state, and when I add to my flock, I've just got to get a few of them. I've wondered what they look like, and now I know! Pretty birds.

Amy

P.S. Do they lay chocolate-colored eggs with a peanut butter center? Sorry, couldn't resist. [​IMG]

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Songster

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have never heard of a Buckeye either and they do look like a RIR. Thanks for posting a different breed for me.

5. wren

wren Songster 11 Years

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    They lay brown eggs. Man do I wish they laid chocolate eggs with a peanut-butter center![​IMG]

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
  7. wren

wren Songster 11 Years

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Thanks for your interest! [​IMG] I found out about Buckeyes at The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. They promote breeds of livestock and poultry that are under threat of extinction. The ALBC has a wonderful web page about Buckeyes at http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/buckeye.html

I
    was thinking about getting a show quality roo somewhere, and breeding/selling chicks untill I saturate the Buckeye market in my neck of woods just to help the breed out. I don't know.

It's a pleasure to see pictures of mature birds. Mine have green eyes-I wonder if they change as they get older. My chicks came all the way from New Mexico from a hatchery based in Iowa. Silly me I thought I was getting chicks hatched in Iowa so the babies would be under less stress as I live in Iowa. I learned a new phrase "shipping point." I haven't heard of Murrey hatchery in Ohio. I found my buckeyes on-line, Welps hatchery. I won't use them again.

I am very interested in learning more about these birds. They talk a little about them on feathersite. Mine are very brave and friendly.

mdbucks-how long have you had buckeyes?

Southern28 - thanks for the link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: