Buckeye Roar

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faykokoWV, Oct 17, 2009.

1. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Do any of you Buckeye owners have a recording of the roaring sound they make. I keep hearing about it, but have yet to actually hear one. I've tried searching the internet, but just keep coming up with OSU stuff [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Never heard of it.

3. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Buckeye roosters also have a range of calls they make, they will purr and do a dinosaur like roar.

from the breed page, its also been stated in other posts.​

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    No, I don't have a recording of the "roar", sadly. They're not the only birds who make the noise, I've heard other breeds. It's the male version of the "Wrawk" that hens make sometimes, only much lower and louder. I would send my kid out there with her video camera but it's pretty cold here in KY today!

[​IMG]

5. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I'm a patient person, if you ever get a chance I'd love to hear it.

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Some Buckeyes do roar and like Pathfinders, I have heard other breeds make a similar noise. The unusual, bold noises are common of the large Asiatic breeds which are part of the Buckeye ancestry.

The best Buckeye "roars" are loud, deep, low growls with some duration (can be longer than a crow). When first hearing a good roar you will wonder, "what was that?" There are varying degrees of the roar as well. My best roarers rear back & up like they are crowing when they do it (and like a crow, it gets better as the rooster gets older). It is difficult to predict when they are going to roar so is the reason nobody has captured it & uploaded it for the internet. They seem to do it when alarmed or excited (one time I had a Buckeye cockerel I could hear roaring repeatedly outside so I ran out to see why he was so alarmed-- he had a mouse he was holding down with his foot & excited at letting up his foot and re-catching it, he would roar loudly). Some of mine never or very rarely roar (so all Buckeye males don't make the noise). The Buckeye hens sometimes "squawk" very loudly when protesting something.

My Buckeye males also make a "crying noise" or a "whining," when I have them in isolation & separated, like they are saying, "I'm so sad, poor me, pity me, please let me out."

[I've often wondered why it has been called a "dinosaur roar" since nobody has ever heard a dinosaur noise (& who coined that term?).]

7. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    If I ever get some Buckeye's I'll make it my mission to record the roar!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by