Buckeye Wyandotte cross question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PLwarped59, Jul 29, 2014.

1. PLwarped59

PLwarped59 New Egg

Jan 5, 2012
    A question for those of you that know a lot about chicken colour genetics.
    what would you get if you crossed a Buckeye rooster with a silver laced Wyandotte hen and vice versa? Also, what about comb inheritence?

2. Cuppy Acres

Cuppy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2014
    Yes, I have the same question. I have Buckeyes and intend on introducing Silver Laced Wyandottes to mix with them.

3. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    I have never raised Buckeyes, and only one Wyandotte, but have experience with both comb and color, may be able to help you out.

A Buckeye male over a silver laced female will produce gold based pullets, and silver/gold split cockerels which will more closely resemble silver with brassy straw color showing in neck hackles and saddle feathers.

A silver laced male over Buckeye will produce silver pullets and split cockerels same as above.

Now one thing that may be a factor, would be possible red bleed through into the silver due to the mahogany or red enhancers from the Buckeyes.

Pattern wise I would expect something close to a columbian pattern, possibly with some extra specks/partial lacing.

Comb wise, when I crossed a Wyandotte onto Brahma ( pea comb, same as Buckeye), the resulting chicks had smooth cushion combs. Breeding these chicks together brought considerable variation, pea, rose, cushion, "split cushions" ( had a line of fine feathers horizontally through the comb about a third way down) and others.

1 person likes this.
  4. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    Big medicine is right on. I would add that when I crossed Rhode Island red rooster over SL Wyandotte, the male offspring looked more like a silver coumbian than silver laced. The (red) pullets are incompletly laced. I'd expect the same color patterns with a buckeye.

1 person likes this.
  5. stryker

stryker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    I have a buckeye rooster, rhodebar rooster,silky rooster and a legbar rooster that ran with welsummer hens, silver laced hens, rhodebar hens, and buckeye hens. Back in January, my neighbor asked get some eggs for incubating. Her daycare traded her one free day of childcare ( $50) for 2 dozen of hatching eggs. As you would know, my neighbor was begging me for 2 dozen eggs. Her hens were not laying at the time. The deal was that she kept the chicks and I will in no way keep them.

Well to make a long story short, 6-8 weeks after hatch she ended up with about 8 chicks... She kept the only light colored chick. I went over to see her chicks yesterday and they are fully feathered and this roo is solid white and looked just like a silver Columbia.. I will take pictures of him when I can later this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by